COVID-19 NOTIFICATION: To protect your safety in response to the threat of COVID-19, our staff is still available to serve you during our normal office hours. We are offering our clients and potential clients the option to connect with us via telephone, email and video-conferencing. Please call or email us to discuss your options.

Gree dehumidifiers touted as dangerous household product

| May 22, 2014 | Uncategorized

Gree, an appliance manufacturer, has sent out yet another recall of one of its lines of dehumidifiers, which may affect West Virginia residents. This particular type of dehumidifier can now be considered a dangerous household product. This recall is due to the humidifiers risk of overheating. This can lead to excessive smoke coming from the products, which can ultimately catch on fire.

The first recall was in Sept. 2013. It was updated the following month. An expansion was made to the recall in Jan. 2014. There have been 121 reported fires and 471 reports of overheating. The first recall resulted in the dehumidifiers causing over $2 million in property damages, which has now multiplied to roughly $4.5 million.

The dehumidifiers may be gray, black, beige or white and have a capacity from 20 to 70 pints. Numerous brands are included in this line of dehumidifiers; from Danby, Premiere and Seabreeze to Frigidaire, GE and Kenmore, among others. They were sold at several retail stores, such as Home Depot, Lowe’s, Kmart, Sam’s Club, Wal-Mart and Sears. They were also sold online at and

Regardless of the type of product, manufacturers have a certain responsibility when it comes to consumer safety. Products are to be examined prior to being released to distributors and retail stores. When an error occurs and a dangerous household product makes its way into the hands of West Virginia consumers, individuals may end up being injured. Those victims may have the right to pursue financial compensation in a civil court while holding the company liable for allowing an unsafe product to be sold.

Source: USA Today, “Dehumidifiers recalled after overheating, fires“, Derry London, May 15, 2014