West Virginia residents are most likely not strangers to the act of enjoying a bowl of ice cream on occasion. A recent lawsuit was filed in connection with suspected dangerous or defective products that some say can lead to serious illness when consumed. The man who filed the lawsuit claims that he came close to dying after eating ice cream from a particular creamery.
The 32-year-old man had apparently consumed various flavors of ice cream made by Blue Bell Creameries. Reports indicate that he was working as a retirement community administrator at the time. The legal claim that he has since filed against the company states that the ice cream products were laden with Listeria monocytogenes, a bacteria that can lead to severe illness and, in some cases, even death.
An attorney representing the man said that his client suffered a serious infection after eating the ice cream. The hospital is said to have recorded the infection as having been caused by Listeria bacteria, and the man almost died when the infection spread to his brain. Although the man survived the severe illness, it has been reported that he suffered permanent damage that has led to his needing assistance for the rest of his life. According to reports, his condition necessitated his moving from Texas, where he had resided, back to his home state of Maryland so that his parents could care for him.
Blue Bell Creameries issued a recall of all its products earlier in 2015. The man’s attorney said that because he will have expenses related to his illness for the rest of his life, no specific amount has been sought for damages in the case. Any West Virginia resident who believes that he or she has consumed dangerous or defective products that resulted in illness can seek consultation with a products liability professional if he or she wishes to consider filing a legal claim in response to the incident.
Source: The Dallas Morning News, “Blue Bell recall lawsuit alleges ice cream caused man’s severe illness“, Karen Robinson Jacobs, May 19, 2015