COVID-19 NOTIFICATION: To protect your safety in response to the threat of COVID-19, our staff is still available to serve you during our normal office hours. We are offering our clients and potential clients the option to connect with us via telephone, email and video-conferencing. Please call or email us to discuss your options.

Defective products from Ikea include nightlights

| Sep 3, 2015 | Personal Injury

The recall of certain nightlights may affect parents in West Virginia. The company Ikea is recalling hundreds of thousands of kids’ nightlights due to the risk of electrical shock associated with them. These defective products were sold nationwide between August 2013 and July 2015.

The recent recall impacts Patrull nightlights. These products come in the colors pink, white and orange, and they have light sensors. According to the national Consumer Product Safety Commission, the plastic covering of the nightlight has the ability to detach and thus reveal electrical components.

Ikea has received a report of a young child who attempted to take the light out of an electrical outlet after the cover detached. This caused the child to receive an electric shock as well as minor wounds in the hand area. This incident occurred in the nation of Austria; there have been no reports of similar incidents in the United States. Customers who have purchased the recalled products are encouraged to contact Ikea.

Defective products can easily cause physical injuries in West Virginia and even keep a person from functioning normally if the injuries are severe enough. Even if a recall has been issued, people may not learn about the recall until after they have already been injured by the hazardous products. Injury victims in this situation in New York have the right to file product liability claims against the manufacturer of the products, seeking the reimbursement of monetary damages. If awarded, damages may help to cover medical costs and other losses stemming from the use of the products.

Source:, “IKEA recalls children’s nightlight because of shock risk“, Aug. 20, 2015