Boutique alcohol production has become popular in many states. Unfortunately, manufacturing errors have proved to provide some problems, and as recently as August, a cider maker in another state recalled its beverages due to unexpected explosions caused by secondary fermentation after the bottles were sealed. Such dangerous or defective products can cause severe injuries to consumers or workers in West Virginia and elsewhere.
A cider manufacturing company in another state and its owner are currently facing a lawsuit that was filed by a worker who suffered injuries when a bottle of cider exploded. The complaint states that the plaintiff was manning a product-promotion booth when a client reported the explosion of a bottle of cider at his home, and he also returned a leaking bottle for an exchange. The worker alleges the returned bottle exploded within a couple of hours, causing serious cuts on his legs. Despite receiving medical treatment without delay, the plaintiff asserts one of the wounds became infected, necessitating further treatment and additional medical expenses.
The plaintiff accuses the cider manufacturer of being fully aware of the pre-existing defect that caused the building up of excessive pressure and causing bottles of beverages to explode. He claims the company refused to issue a voluntary recall previously because of the damage it may cause to its reputation. The worker contends he is not covered by the company’s workers’ compensation insurance program.
West Virginia consumers who have been injured by dangerous or defective products may want to explore the possibility of having a viable legal claim to pursue recovery of damages. Many victims of such incidents consult with an experienced product liability attorney to assess the circumstances and assist with establishing evidence of negligence. Every case is unique, and with the guidance and support of legal counsel, it may be possible to obtain compensation for documented financial and other losses.
Source: oregonlive.com, “Man claims Atlas Hard Cider bottle exploded, shredded his legs“, Aimee Green, Oct. 20, 2015