COVID-19 NOTIFICATION: To protect your safety in response to the threat of COVID-19, our staff is still available to serve you during our normal office hours. We are offering our clients and potential clients the option to connect with us via telephone, email and video-conferencing. Please call or email us to discuss your options.

In the winter, it is inevitable that West Virginia residents and other homeowners will use heaters within their homes, including space heaters. Sadly, space heaters, when used improperly, can result in fires. However, at the same time, a defective heater could cause a fire and result in a complete loss of everything that one owns. A woman from another state is alleging that a company sold defective household products and that she became a victim of one of them.

The lawsuit was recently filed, but the incident occurred on February 13, 2014. The woman says that her vehicle and home were completely lost as a result of a fire. The woman asserts that the fire was started by a faulty heater that was manufactured and sold by the defendant, Twin Star International.

Roughly one month later, the company allegedly put a letter in the mail to the woman regarding a recall for the defective heater. However, the woman is claiming in her lawsuit that the company was well aware of the defect in the heater prior to the occurrence of the fire. The suit is saying that the company was grossly negligent and is responsible for selling an unreasonably dangerous and faulty heater.

The woman is seeking various damages, including the complete value of all of her losses. When individuals take the proper precautions to ensure that their uses of space heaters are safe and appropriate, yet a fire still results, this could be the result of defective household products. In West Virginia, when a loss or injury is suffered due to a defective product, it may be possible to file a product liability claim and fight for financial justice, while holding the company accountable for its negligent manufacturing.

Source: setexasrecord.com, “Beaumont woman blames Twin Star International after heater fire destroyed home“, Robbie Hargett, Nov. 11, 2015