Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Over the past winter, there has been an increase in carbon monoxide poisonings in hotels, motels, shale pump stations, apartments and other settings in West Virginia. Sadly, these injuries and deaths are preventable accidents that someone failed to prevent.
At Warner Law Offices in Charleston, West Virginia, our attorneys represent people who have been injured due to the negligence of others. We also represent family members in cases of wrongful death. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case and your legal options.
Carbon Monoxide Poisonings And Negligence
Generators, heaters and other combustion sources produce carbon monoxide — a colorless, odorless gas that is deadly in high concentrations. Poisonings are usually the result of:
- Improper ventilation
- Improper maintenance of the combustion source
- Missing or nonfunctioning carbon monoxide detectors
In a recent carbon monoxide poisoning case in South Charleston, a construction worker from Rhode Island died in his room at the Holiday Inn Express due to a broken exhaust pipe from an indoor pool heater. According to city officials, the exhaust pipe was never inspected because the hotel installed it without obtaining a building permit. In addition, the hotel did not have a carbon monoxide detector in the room. Following the death, the West Virginia senate has taken up a bill that will make it mandatory for hotels, motels, dorms and nursing homes to install carbon monoxide detectors. Many local governments are considering local ordinances.
The civil justice system can also provide a strong motivation for property owners to take steps to prevent carbon monoxide poisonings of guests and employees. While no amount of financial compensation can replace a lost family member, a civil lawsuit can force corporations to take action.