Charleston Elderly Fall Lawyers
We Fight for Nursing Home Patients & Their Families
Falls present a serious health risk for the elderly. An injury such as a fractured hip often results in a decline in health and mobility from which the resident may never recover. When the fall occurs in a hospital or nursing home setting, the facility may be responsible.
At Warner Law Offices, PLLC, our attorneys handle cases of serious personal injury resulting from the negligence of others. We hold nursing homes responsible when they fail to take steps to protect residents from falls. We also handle cases of injury due to falls in hospitals.
Nursing homes have a duty to provide a safe environment for residents. This includes providing fall protection for residents who need it. Examples of fall protection include:
- Providing assistance to patients who need help walking or going to the bathroom
- Providing handrails in bathrooms, hallways, and other areas
- Providing rails on beds when necessary to prevent falls
- Installing proper lighting near entrances and exits
- Placing warnings in areas where floors are wet or slippery
- Monitoring residents for adverse reactions to medication changes
Nursing home staff may say that falls are inevitable when a person becomes old and frail. However, one of the reasons we place our loved ones in a nursing home is to ensure they have the care and supervision they need to prevent injuries. If a nursing home fails to take proper steps to protect residents from falls, it may be liable for damages such as medical bills, and compensation for pain and suffering.