West Virginia residents that have been the victim of a defective product are probably aware of the injury and expense that can result. A defective product can be a hazard to anyone using it and sometimes to other people around it. A recent story involving a faulty exhaust fan could be of interest to residents nationwide.
A home burnt to the ground after what was believed to be a faulty exhaust fan started a fire in the attic. When firefighters responded, the roof was already fully engulfed in flames. Because of the home’s location, more than one fire truck had to respond to provide water to extinguish the flames. It was estimated over 30 firefighters were on scene.
The faulty fan was located in a bathroom. Initial reports indicate that it started to arch which ultimately is believed to have caused the fire. Thankfully the husband and wife, who were home at the time the fire started, were able to get out of the home unharmed, but their home was listed as a complete loss. They will now have to face the financial repercussions of their loss. A loss this great can be emotionally overwhelming and financially devastating.
Any West Virginia resident who feels they have been the victim of a defective product may want to look into their right to file a civil suit against the manufacturer of the product. When a person buys a product, typically they do so with the expectation that it has been tested and is safe for consumer use. When an accident such as this happens, the company could possibly be held liable which, in turn, could mean the victim may be entitled to monetary reimbursement to help cover their losses.
Source: Source: cachevalleydaily.com, “Faulty exhaust fan to blame for overnight fire in Franklin County,” Eric Frandsen, July 3, 2013