When a child is injured at birth due to the direct result of negligence by the doctor or medical staff, the parents may have a chance of receiving financial compensation for the damages by filing a lawsuit. It’s always recommended to work with a skilled attorney when taking legal action to be made aware of the lawsuit process and required steps. Attorneys will also be able to review the details of your case to help better impact the case’s success.
How Much Will My Child Receive?
Due to compensation amounts relying solely on each case’s details, it is impossible to know how much your case is worth without working with a skilled professional. However, many factors play into the total cost of the settlement that victims can review to understand better. Common factors that contribute to the amount of compensation include:
- Current medical bills
- The severity of the injuries
- Loss of independence of the child
- Expected future medical bills
- Emotional and physical pain & suffering
- The estimated cost of any lifelong care for the disability of the child
- The degree of the defendant’s negligence
- Lost wages of parents if required to stay home from work
What are the Steps for Filing a Birth Injury Claim?
An experienced attorney can better determine the steps required to file a successful lawsuit. Once the claim has been filed, the next steps typically include the following:
- Discovery – This is when the lawyers from both parties gather evidence, hold dispositions, investigate and build their cases.
- Settlement Negotiations – During this phase, lawyers of both sides attempt to negotiate a settlement amount with the information they gathered during discovery.
- Trial – If a settlement amount cannot be determined, the victim’s attorney will then take the case to trial, where a jury will make the final decision.
We Can Help
Here at Warner Law Offices, PLLC, we have a great team of skilled and committed attorneys that will represent your case! You deserve compensation for your experience, and we have the expertise to do so. We take pride in offering customized approaches and legal support every step of the way.