On Behalf of Warner Law Offices PLLC | Jul 15, 2013 | Uncategorized
Consumer safety is often a priority for many companies across the country, and it’s definitely important to those West Virginia residents who purchase household products. Unfortunately, however, companies still release dangerous items that make their way onto store shelves and then into the homes of unsuspecting consumers. This problem can sometimes result in a defective product being recalled and refunds being made available to those who purchased it. This does not always save people from being injured by these dangerous products and could result in a personal injury claim being filed.
One example of a defective product being recalled recently occurred with a ‘Butterfly Clip Light’ being sold in Cracker Barrel Old Country Store locations throughout West Virginia and the nation at large. This lamp was discovered to have exposed wiring along its base. Exposed wiring can pose a fire hazard, which puts consumers at risk for burn injuries or even death.
Because of this danger, a product recall has been issued for this butterfly lamp. While no incidents of injury have yet been reported, that doesn’t mean that the danger isn’t still out there. Not every consumer hears about a product recall before a dangerous incident occurs. Whenever a consumer is injured due to a defective product that a company has sold to them, they may have legal recourse to pursue financial restitution.
If, for instance, this defective product that was sold in Cracker Barrel stores leads to burn injuries in a West Virginia resident, that person could seek reimbursement for their medical and other related expenses in a personal injury lawsuit. While this won’t take away the physical and emotional pain, it can alleviate the financial stress that such injuries can cause. To succeed in such a claim, however, individuals should be sure they fully understand their rights and the responsibilities that companies owe to their customers.
Source: philly.com, “Lamps, toys, hammocks get recalled,” July 8, 2013