Lawyer in Charleston, WV
Employees should be judged on the merits of their work, not on their age, gender, race, or religious beliefs. Unfortunately, some employers consider these factors when making decisions regarding hiring, firing, and promotions — despite the fact that this is prohibited by both state and federal law.
At Warner Law Offices, PLLC, we provide skilled legal representation for employees who have encountered unlawful discrimination in the workplace. For more than 15 years, we’ve developed a strong reputation for our successful representation of injured people, including injured workers. As a result of this success, many former clients returned to our office, requesting assistance with other legal matters. It is from these requests that our employment law practice was born.
- Legal Guidance for Victims of Race, Sex, Age, Religion, & Disability Discrimination, & More Throughout West Virginia
- Contact Warner Law Offices, PLLC for a Free Consultation
- Types of Workplace Discrimination
- Employment Discrimination Examples
- Harassment vs. Discrimination
- Seek Knowledgeable and Compassionate Legal Representation
Legal Guidance for Victims of Race, Sex, Age, Religion, & Disability Discrimination, & More Throughout West Virginia
We provide effective representation for all types of unlawful discrimination claims, including:
- Sex or gender discrimination
- Religious discrimination
We have a solid understanding of the state and federal laws protecting the interests of workers. As seasoned attorneys, we can skillfully resolve these cases either at the negotiating table or in the courtroom.
Contact Warner Law Offices, PLLC for a Free Consultation
Discrimination against employees or job seekers based on race, religion, gender, national origin and a host of other factors is prohibited by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and is enforced by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Many other federal and state laws exist, making it illegal for employers to discriminate in the hiring process, firing, promoting and referring as well as any other facets of their employment practices and policies.
Types of Workplace Discrimination
In addition to the factors mentioned above, workers face discriminatory practices over:
- Skin color
- Mental or physical disabilities
- Genetic information
- Relationship to another person who may be the target of discrimination
Employment Discrimination Examples
Discrimination can happen in a wide variety of circumstances, including these examples:
- The employer lists or suggests preferred candidates in a job posting
- Potential candidates are excluded during the recruitment phase
- Certain employees are denied benefits or compensation
- Equally-qualified workers are paid different amounts for the same position
- Workers do not receive equal disability or maternity leave, or retirement opportunities
- Employees who are denied the use of company facilities
- Employees treated unfairly over promotions or layoffs
Harassment vs. Discrimination
While many consider these illegal actions to be the same, harassment is actually a form of discrimination. There are also many different types of harassment, including unwanted behavior for any reason from a manager, co-worker or anyone else in the workplace. Sexual harassment is one of the most frequent complaints received by the EEOC.
Seek Knowledgeable and Compassionate Legal Representation
Many employees suffer from hostile work environments when harassment or discrimination interferes with their ability to do their jobs, or their right to be treated equally with other workers. If you are the target of workplace discrimination, an experienced and compassionate employment law attorney here in West Virginia will protect your rights and help you with every step of the process and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Bobby has received many accolades throughout the years from both his peers in the legal community, as well as the media. The National Trial Lawyers association named Bobby a Top 100 Trial Lawyer and he has been selected as a Member of the Nation’s Top One Percent. Additionally, he has been named a Best Attorneys of America by Rue Ratings, which also named Warner Law Offices to its Best Law Firms of America.
We represent clients across West Virginia and surrounding areas, providing compassionate client service and relentless advocacy in and out of the courtroom.